Thursday, September 20, 2012

Kelsey's JFresh Application


JFreshman Newsroom Application

Kelsey Miller


            In a world where technology never stops advancing, there will be a newscast, a newscast produced by me, which will become the future of news broadcasting.  The new generation of broadcast journalism will offer many more choices for our smart viewers.
            Although the news itself may still be considered traditional, the way I will go about it is not.  Everything the viewer desires will be his or her choice…this is  “create your own” news television.  My vision is this:
Similar to the TV Guide Channel or the local listings used to view what shows are going to be on, there would be an option on your news channel where you will find several categories that are divided into more specific topics.  Here you will be able to build your news network.  What is your favorite part of the news? How frequently would you like to see updates?  What would you like to see more of?  The choice is yours! 
            In the “Create Your Newscast” option, you would be able to hear the latest on your favorite sports teams.  Tired of hearing all about the Buckeyes on the Ohio broadcasts?  Look up how our Bobcat sports teams are doing any time! You control what times you want to see the weather.  If you are tired of hearing about politics, just simply choose not to watch it.  And let’s not forget how the news gives you those annoying cliffhangers to make you keep watching. 
            In my program, you will have the option of watching any coverage any time you would like, or you can create your news in advance if you would like a more organized televised viewing.  Don’t have enough time to watch the full coverage? No problem! Get the idea of the current event from the short version where you understand the highlights of the topic.  Then watch the original length story later! This program provides viewers with endless possibilities for their interests.  Among the current news, we would also give the option of inspirational stories, international cultures, religion, top news, military updates, a wide variety of sports, etc. 
            Currently, broadcast journalism continues to suffer as the Internet and technology grows stronger.  This program will not only boost the ratings of television but will also create many more jobs for incoming reporters!  Each category of news and stories will need their own big team to come up with a bunch of different stories.  From what I can see, with the right technology and a good amount of believers, this could only benefit our society.
            Ever since I was a baby I have seemed to love the camera.  As an infant I would just stare at the red light on my father’s giant dinosaur of a camera. 
When I turned nine, my dad took on me to one of his goose round-ups.  If you don’t have prior knowledge of what they do, it is simply the process of rounding-up geese to tag them to get a count of the population in a certain area.  My dad brought his camcorder and shot me as I was “reporting” my whole day there.
 A couple years later when I was in middle school, my dad took me to Take Your Daughter to Work Day.  At this point, I knew I wanted to be in Journalism.  My dad worked for The Ohio Division of Wildlife at the time and knew a guy that wanted to cover the news of the special day.  So he hooked me up and I was the reporter covering Father-Daughter Day.  For this, I interviewed the daughters, as well as the activities directors.  To my knowledge, it was broadcasted on the TV show, Wild Ohio.
My most recent journalism experience was this past year at my high school.  I not only was one of the news anchors for my high school’s news team, but also was lucky enough to get an internship at my local television station.  While I was there, I got a taste of what it was like to read from a teleprompter and to learn more techniques of interviewing people as well as recognizing my weaknesses. I was taught the basic equipment needed to run a television station. 
I have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and am so excited to become a well-rounded person, something I know that Scripps will do for me.  I hope that you will consider me to be part of this very coveted group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment