Hello, my name is Jon Emmerling, and if I were to create a
newscast, it would most certainly grab the interest and attention of the
“younger adult” generation. There’s a Netflix for movies, and an Amazon for
shopping, but no similar experience for news. Why not? The main goal for the
majority of the News Agencies today is to report a story immediately after it
occurs. Which don’t get me wrong, I believe that is all well and good, but who
really wants to see and hear the same “breaking news” story on literally every
news station. Also, let’s be honest. Young people especially, are not at the
edge of their seats on their smart phones or tablets, waiting for a new story
to be released. Besides, it is definitely more important to be relevant,
useful, and insightful, than to be the first.
My newscast
would be ran solely on the internet to cut costs, and at the same time, still
be extremely resourceful to many young people. The newscast would have its based
website or domain, such as www.cnn.com. On that site, a video show would be
posted in the morning and evening of every day consisting of the current news
in the U.S. and throughout the world. There would be links of the shows posted
on social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter. These shows will also not be
incredibly long so the viewing audience could be interested throughout the
entirety of the newscast.
Here’s
where Netflix comes into play. Instead of having just a few current stories
users would be able to read everyday, there will be a number of categories you
could browse from and find stories that were written over months ago. If you
are familiar with how Netflix works, you should have a grasp on what I am
saying. Examples of these categories would be Entertainment, Sports, Politics,
World, etc. Why should a user interested in health policy not have the chance
to be presented with a month old article about the challenges and politics if
its point remains valid? The newscast and stories would also be extremely
accessible through applications on smartphones, tablets, Xbox, Play station,
etc.
Finally, I
can honestly say I have very little experience in journalism, and hardly any
experience at all in technical skills such as Final Cut and Adobe. With that
being said, that is the reason why I put in a great bit of effort into this
essay. I have always had the fondest love for sports. Most people who know me
would consider me a semi-shy person, but when it comes to anything in relation
to sports, I could talk your ear off or write a novel. Calling games for my
“hometown team” Pittsburgh Pirates, or being the lead anchor on ESPN’s “College
Gameday” has always been a couple of my several dreams. Mr. Peter Shaplen’s
talk to the class was extremely fascinating to me and really put in perspective
all the great things I can one day achieve. One of the main reasons I came to
Ohio University was because of its tradition and excellence in the broadcasting
and journalism field, and I believe the “JFreshman Newsroom” coincides with all
of that. Without a doubt, I understand the advantages and skills that could be enhanced
from “JFresh,” and I know very well that those will one day, help me fulfill my
dreams. “Dare to Dream.”
No comments:
Post a Comment