I consider myself a fortunate, privileged person to partake in a field that is so fast-paced and ever-changing. Throughout my life, I have been passionate about writing; however, with technology constantly updating, writing is no longer my only concern. I have a theory that by the time I graduate and begin my career in journalism, all of the news mediums will merge together into one big pool of information that revolves around technology. In the past, if people missed a game on TV, they would wait until the next morning to read up on it. But today, audiences expect updates during the game. With an abundance of technology at our fingertips, the possibilities are endless; why wait for news? Because people want information ASAP, one journalist cannot simply be a writer; he or she will also have to know how to broadcast, take photos, record videos, post everything online, etc. For example, the Cleveland Plain Dealer is most popularly known as a print publication; however, they are also prompt with putting stories online, and in recording web shows such as SBTV. Therefore, if I were to create my own newscast, it would not simply be a broadcast station, but also have newsletters going out, an active website, blogposts, and more. I believe that every news organization must constantly think of their audience: some people prefer newspapers, some people prefer websites, some prefer to watch TV, and some people prefer anything in between. I would also choose stories and their length based on audience interest and importance. A huge reason that I would want a healthy website for my newscast is for my viewers to comment on stories and give the staff constant feedback; after all, many people nowadays are very responsive to second-screen networks. They enjoy interaction with reporters and feeling as if they can effectively voice their opinions in the media. I would also ensure that the reporters hosting the broadcast stories will stay professional and unbiased on air; however, I think there could be more ways to keep viewers hooked throughout the program. One thing that bothers me about watching the news is that maybe the story I really want to see is not airing until the last five minutes of the show. Unfortunately, with great, fast technology comes a lack of patience in many people. I would definitely like to post the entire broadcast show online so that viewers could only find the parts that they would like to see. Otherwise, if reporters could engage in fun, lighter segments between every few stories, then perhaps viewers would be more inclined to watch the whole program and thus benefit from more information.
In high school, I was fortunate enough to gain useful experience for the field. I completed an Introduction to Journalism course as a sophomore in which I worked hard and earned an A. After completing the course, one is eligible to join the school newspaper staff. As a junior, I earned a job as the Feature editor, and as a senior, I earned a Copy editor position. On the staff, I gained experience using InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and sometimes taking my own photos for my stories. I have always written stories in AP style, and I am a fast learner if there is ever any other writing style that I must use. I have also gained experience from OSMA (Ohio Scholastic Media Association), an annual awards banquet at Kent State University, and shadowing at the Cleveland Plain Dealer for two weeks where I was fortunate enough to learn a little bit about what it is really like to have a career in the field of journalism. I am grateful for all of the knowledge I have gained so far; however, I would be very appreciative and thankful to be a part of the JFreshman Newsroom program. I am eager to learn more from such a well-respected journalism program. Thank you very much for the opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment