Tim Carrico
JFreshman Newsroom Application
As
we move more into a world based on getting information at the punch of a
button, the audience for television news continues to spiral downwards. The
new, younger audience wants their news now and does not have the loyalty the
older generation once had. To meet the needs of an audience that wants instant
news, television news needs to change their methods of delivering the big
stories of the day. One way to gain a larger audience is to move a broadcast
from the air to the web. The younger generation relies on social media and
their mobile devices. Most teens’ lives revolve around Facebook, Twitter, apps
and texts. By reaching an audience on a website as well as social media pages,
a viewer is not obligated to watch the news at a scheduled time, but watching
it whenever they get the urge; by having video on-the-go and on demand. Another
form of broadening a viewing demographic is use “push alerts” to notify the
audience about breaking news and stories that could affect their everyday way
of life. Instead of doing a 30 minute newscast, the show could be condensed down
to a 15 minutes. By shortening the show, it would have to be jam packed with a
variety of VO’s VO-SOT’s and shorter packages. Packages would be shortened from
1:30 to :45-1:00, because packages still bring in the raw emotion and sights
from an event. Shortening a newscast would be vital in appealing to an audience
because no one has time to sit down, relax, and enjoy a 30 minute broadcast.
Our lives move like a continuous rollercoaster spinning from soccer practice to
dance recitals. I’m not saying get rid of good reporting. The quality of the
news product will continue to stay the same. All I’m saying is reach an
audience with faster, hard-hitting news that appeals to them. We can leave the
feature stories and “filler” content to the 24-hour news networks.
I’ve
had a career in the journalism field for more than eight years. Working as and
intern and expanding my horizons to a part-time employee at my local CBS and
FOX affiliate, WVNS-TV. Learning the ropes from some of the best professionals
in the business; I see changes in our television ratings, and they’re not for
the good. However, our website, social media pages and mobile app continue to
see a popularity spike. For example, a historic building caught fire in my
hometown. The only problem, it occurred after the news had signed off the air.
Instead, people turned to our social media pages as well as our website to get
the latest details on the breaking news. Our multi-media journalists posted raw
video, interviews, as well as pictures to the web. Within a day, our Facebook
page gained nearly 2,500 friends. It goes to show that people are relying on
other sorts of media to get their news.
I
began working at WVNS-TV as a photojournalist. From there, I moved my way up to
producer and weekend director. At the ripe old age of 17, I was asked to become
the lead weekend anchor and executive producer for our 6, 10, and 11 p.m.
broadcasts on CBS and FOX. I have worked with edit software like Final Cut and
Premier. With my experience, I feel that I could really bring something to the
table at Ohio University and the JFreshman Newsroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment