This is one in an occasional series of thoughts I'll write about the JFresh.
I just had a great conversation with a JFresh4 who was telling me about their interview... s/he knew all about their interviewee's family... but I asked, "And so?"
Hmmm. You see, this isn't only about the family as much as it is about the person sitting in class with you... the subject of your interview... the interviewee.
I asked what else had been asked - but s/he thought for a moment and acknowledged, well, "It was all fairly "safe" stuff."
And I asked, "What's your lede then about your interviewee?"
There was a pause.
Hmmm.
You see this little assignment isn't so much about the safe things... rather you should probe, attack, strategically think to yourself what it is that you want to know that's different, provocative, unexpected... what's this person think or what might be hiding under the surface?
You're a bit of a detective and archaeologist. And most of all - from what you learn you will become a story teller.
Find out and then tell us something about they way this person thinks or ticks, or gives them pleasure, or frightens them, or makes the hair on the back of their neck go stiff when they're happy or excited? Why do they think/act this way? What do they know that makes them the interesting/attractive/dynamic/ordinary/cute/appealing/intriguing person they are?
If, after the interview, you don't see a clear lede, go back, look at your notes and ask yourself if you did a good enough job?
Here's a question, maybe more of a riddle.
After the interview(s) you've conducted if you're having difficulty determining a good, strong, compelling lede imagine what is the next worst thing to happen?
Answer: It is imagining what you'll write as the first sentence of the next paragraph!!
And we've all been there... so don't despair. Be compelling. Be strong. Be a story teller.
I think my lede on my piece on Kyle was very weak... especially since it didn't tie in my second half of the story. Could you help me with it?
ReplyDelete