Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Outlier: A Refreshing Point of View


We were lost in the children’s section of the library.

It wasn’t until Jeff Kassouf (Kah-soof) admitted this that I suggested we ask the service desk where the room we reserved was. Yet, what seemed like such a simple resolution didn’t occour to him until that moment.

But it would be unlike Jeff to be conventional.

SOTFULL (Kassouf) - “I don’t really pay attention to the norms. I just kind of roll out of bed and do my own thing.”

A native of west Cleveland, Kassouf  (Kah-soof) lived among suburbanites with what he describes as "cookie cutter personalities" and one size fits all beliefs.  

SOTFULL (Kassouf)- "They couldn't comprehend the thought of someone being a different way than them...I went through so much of my life having to filter and suppress myself." 

Despite this, Jeff managed to make the most out of his high school experience: he submerged himself into a diverse social life and used his position for the school newspaper as an outlet for some of his opinions.


SOTFULL (Kassouf)- "I figured out journalism is really what I was made to do because I'm into activism, news, and current information."

An advocate for equality and freedom, Kassouf's  (Kah-soof's) eyes lit up and his head immediatly started shaking when I asked what made him tick.

SOTFULL (Kassouf)- "The expression of power for the sake of showing off power...it really bothers me that people think because they have certain traits that it makes them better than others."

Kassouf  (Kah-soof) has his own traits and skills that set him apart from others, but you won't hear it from him. Jeff has experience in photography, drawing, acting, writing, and playing piano and the upright base. The amount of hobbies Jeff has alone proves he does not like to be stuck doing one thing for too long, a quality that attracted him to Ohio University.

SOTFULL (Kassouf)- "There's always something to do [at Ohio University] always somewhere to go. You can just walk around and find something that fits your interests, or sparks new interests that you didn't know you had."

Not only has his need for change helped him in deciding where to go to college, but also what field of journalism he would most like to go into. 

SOTFULL (Kassouf)- "I would love to be a foreign correspondent and travel a lot, or a correspondent for the country and just travel all over the United States. I wouldn't want to be a local reporter, I would hate to focus everything that happens in a certain city...Having a broader canvas is much more important to me." 

As Jeff's playlist came to an end and his attention gradually shifted to his compter, ready to change his focus, I asked one final question. 

SOTFULL (Kueser)- "I notice you don't really filter yourself so much anymore? What happened?"

He reached to unplug his laptop charger from the outlet, paused, and then said "I really just came to the realization that I don't need to do that because it's my only chance to ever say anything while I have it on my mind and while I'm alive. I might as well say what I want to say." 

And at that, Jeff's mind had moved on. 

"I think I'm gonna go explore the library for a bit." he said. 
 


2 comments: