Maren Machles doesn’t believe in marriage but still believes in love.
Growing up in a conservative, upper class neighborhood in southern Ohio,
divorce was rare. When Maren was only four, her parents decided to split.
She describes her mother by saying,
(Quote)
“I guess my mom was like this typical stay at home mom, going shopping
with her friends, spending my dad’s money. She wanted to be accepted by
people.”
(End quote)
Divorce was tough on Maren and her two brothers aged twenty-three and
twenty-seven. A big issue in her family was weight and as a result, her brothers
were teased mercilessly throughout middle school. This led to her older brother’s
eventual battle with bulimia.
Her brothers were not the only ones that were moved by the separation
as Maren states,
(Quote)
“It’s definitely affected me as well. I really don’t believe in
marriage. I don’t believe it lasts. For me its impossible that people can stay
together. If I feel like I’m going to get married, it’s going to be either for
forever or for shits and giggles. I don’t want to put my kids through the same
pain.”
(End quote)
But there was a bright side to her experience.
(Quote)
“Because of my parents divorce, I was always really good at seeing
each side of the situation. My parents often used me as the messenger. I’m
really good at shuffling through the bullshit and I try to find the bright side
in people and in every argument. I’m really open-minded,”
(End quote)
Machles attributes these personality traits to the divorce.
A big believer in astrology, Maren tends to be drawn to people who
have really solid opinions. Among other things, she likes to learn about people
and is interested in why things happen or why things work the way they do.
These features of Maren are what led her to study journalism at the
E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University today.
No comments:
Post a Comment