Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mindful Movements-- An Interview with Kirsten Kueser



                Kirsten Kueser’s (Key-zur) life is one of constant motion. As a child, Kirsten was always moving—she’s lived in 5 different states in her lifetime.  First was Virginia Beach, Virginia, where she was born; then her parents and she headed to Maryland; then to Indiana, where her parents divorced; her mother and she moved to Toledo, Ohio while her father moved to Michigan. Her father and she stopped talking as much while Kirsten attempted to adjust to life in a new town; first starting school for a day a half hour from her house, then at Sylvania’s Northview High School, and finally at Sylvania’s Southview High School. On high school, Kirsten says,

(Quote)
                “I guess I had a good high school experience, kind of normal, until I went through that stage every girl goes through where they have that falling out with their friends. Up until junior year I was fine until that falling out, and then I realized that everyone is so selfish and I couldn’t stand that anymore. I just branched out and did my own thing.”
(End Quote)

                Kirsten’s life moved again from one of ordinary high school friendships to self-imposed isolation. But then there was the question of why Kirsten chose OU. Sure, she loved to do her own thing, but aren’t there several universities within the Toledo area? Kirsten says,

(Quote)
                “There was no way I was going to school in Toledo; Athens was perfect. Obviously also because of the Scripps program—it had been down to Miami and OU. I decided to see Kent, also, because Miami was too stuffy for me. That day I signed into my email while at Kent and it said I was in the Scripps school. The funniest thing was that I emailed Prof Stewart back by asking him ‘Is this a joke?’ I was dumbfounded, but I tried to cover it up in the smartest way possible. The first time I met him in class, I introduced myself and I told him I was the girl who asked him if it was a joke; he laughed and remembered.”
(End Quote)

                She moved, then, to start anew; once again Kirsten was in motion. The Scripps School is obviously the main reason many people eventually choose OU. But how do these people choose Journalism in the first place? Kirsten offers an enlightening reason why,

(Quote)
                “I may not be the most informed human being; in a room of journalism majors, I will not be the first person to tell you about what happened in Libya last night. But, when I go and sit in front of the news, I feel connected to the world. If I miss watching the news I feel isolated; the news reminds you that you have this whole world, it’s bigger than your own life. And I love talking.”
(End Quote)

                What exactly made Kirsten keep diving in, despite her not being quote-unquote “the most informed human being?” How did she always keep moving along on things? On this final note, Kirsten had to say,

(Quote)
                “I’ve always wanted to do things but I’ve never been the best or recognized for things. My driving force is all the times I haven’t been acknowledged or have been pushed aside. My dad and I don’t speak and my old friends have replaced me. My driving force is to be irreplaceable or unforgettable. Obviously I don’t want to blow up a school, or something-- but that’s my driving force. I want to be of importance to something. I want to get out of an experience as much as I put in.”
(End Quote)

                Always pushed aside, Kirsten has had to remain moving in order to keep on living her life. However, what’s the problem with a life of constant motion, when some lives are fixed in the same track, never moving and never experiencing the world around them?

2 comments: