This time of year, many freshmen are still adjusting to university life, getting used to new schedules, less structure, and more freedom. Most find the hardest aspect of their higher education is familial separation, away from their parents and siblings for months on end, some by hundreds of miles, students have difficulty coping.
Meg Omecene, a freshman at Ohio University, says it's difficult not being able to visit family and friends as often as she used to.
"I miss my best friend a lot. [And] I want to see my sister soon."
Omecene hails from Pittsburgh, Ohio, where her mother, father, and sister still reside.
"It's hard. There've been tears, I'll admit."
Many students cope with the homesickeness by focusing on hobbies or extracurriculars. Omecene, an avid reader, is eagerly awaiting a copy of author J.K. Rolling's latest novel.
"I grew up on classics, so I still like classics a lot. [But] I love Harry Potter. Gotta love me some Harry Potter."
"I usually purchase e-books, but, because it's J.K. Rolling, I paid for the hard copy."
By pursuing group activites and individual interests, most college freshmen are able to acclimate to campus life. Meg will read and study, but still looks forward to vacations with family.
"I can't wait for Thanksgiving break."
No comments:
Post a Comment