Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pitches

All of my story ideas are town-gown issue based because that is the story subject I'm covering. Here are my ideas:

1) Follow a custodian, who is enmeshed in the lives of OU students from the "at-home life" perspective, then returns home to a local township.

By following a custodian, I want to catch what his perspective of OU students is. He sees how students actually act in their living space (polite? spoiled? messy? rude? etc). Then there could be a comparison as to how he is actually living at home, whether he tries to ignore his day at OU or comes home & tells stories.  (Bear with me through the tech stuff, because I don't quite understand it yet). From a technical perspective, I imagine this as a documentary style, where said custodian is leading the audience through his day, with mainly his comments voiced into the footage. Maybe it could be introduced with a few shots of his family/at home hobbies, then switch into "this is a janitor who cleans up your dorm bathroom!" I think the idea itself is kind of different because students kind of forget that the blue collar workers around here actually have lives other than picking up their trash, and it will emphasize that the workers have a perspective if we make it from the custodian perspective.

2) Intertwine a night at a campus bar and a townie bar.

I think it might be cool visually (& also make a good transition,  Greek to Townie) if we get some footage of activity at a campus bar, and then somehow fade it into the activity of a townie bar in Athens or something. We will either show the audience that a bar is just a bar, and the students are a lot like the townies now, or we'll get the perspective that Athenians respect their town a lot more than the students do. During this one it might also work to get some shots of Court Street vs. a street with bars on it in Athens. I think it would really be an effective shot if we could find a way to fade the two together, but that's coming from no tech knowledge whatsoever.

Bonus!: The perspectives of Athens High School seniors on choosing a college: pro or con OU.

From what I hear, students at AHS either love or hate OU. So we should get their opinions on why they're applying where they are, and thoughts on students at OU and how they feel about transitioning from townie to student. This is crucial because THEY are the ones who have the clearest perspective of both sides. It also might be cool to find an OU senior who lived in Athens all through life, and ask whether he preferred being a townie or student, ideas on that. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea about following a custodian...it will really juxtapose the college and the town, while at the same time will also show one of the many ways in which they are interrelated. One thing I would say about the technology/visuals - I'm not as big of a fan of the "daily routine" documentary style. However, I definitely agree with starting with the custodian in his or her home doing something...perhaps a good transition to "this is who cleans your bathroom" (or something like that) could be a video into a still (frozen) shot of the custodian cleaning something that is clearly in their house and then splitting the screen to show him/her cleaning the same thing on campus (for example, a sink - sinks at home are much nicer than sinks here, so the difference would be obvious). That part (in my head) would definitely be a voice-over, but from there, I think it would be cool to go directly to part of an interview of the custodian. Also, where would you be interviewing the custodian? At school? In their home? Elsewhere? Food for thought...the decisions about this, of course, are yours. But I really like the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a college student in Athens, it is always strange to even think that there is civilization beyond the OU gate. I have always wondered if we get on the true residents' nerves with our loud and crazy nature as college kids at bars and if we may cramp some adults' styles when they just want to have a casual drink at a bar. As for the high school kids that live here...LOVE IT! I have always wondered if AHS students would really want to stay in the small barriers of Athens and what the college means to them.

    ReplyDelete