Monday, October 22, 2012

Erin's Pitches

Story #1 - Kony 2012 (Part 2)

In March, the video Kony 2012 went viral, then faded. The makers (Invisible Children) are revitalizing their mission with the new video Move

The 30 minute YouTube movie Kony 2012 went viral after it's debut in March and put the non-profit organization behind the video, Invisible Children, in the spotlight. There was a whole movement to take down Joseph Kony and his army in Africa. However, when the Invisible Children website crashed and one of Invisible Children's co-founders, Jason Russell had a public (not to mention nude) meltdown from stress, Kony 2012 and Invisible Children became highly criticized and mocked. Now, they're back with the new YouTube movie Move. It explains all the ups and downs following Kony 2012 and introduces it's new campaign Move: DC. 

Because of the popularity and huge fallout from Kony 2012, this new movement is very prominent for a story. The story would involve showing clips of the YouTube videos and report on the new Move campaign which culminates on November 17. Public opinion would also be calculated by asking students on campus what they think about it. I would also find people who are participating in the new Nov. 17 campaign which is taking place in Washington, D.C. Not only is it interesting to our OU audience, this story is also important because of the seriously terrible acts of Joseph Kony. The public made a mockery of an actually terrible global issue and the story could help but the movement back on track in a small way.


Story #2 - Litter on Campus

OU has a beautiful and historic campus, but the beauty is hidden and marred by litter and gives it a very run-down look.

When my mom visited me a few weeks ago, we were walking around and she commented on how shocked she was that our campus isn't kept up very well. For example, we were walking around my dorm building and there was just litter everywhere. My sister goes to Miami and my mom noted that though both campuses are pretty, Miami's is kept up better; it's cleaner than OU.

The story would visually show the trash covering our beautiful campus and call to action a change. I would look into any student organizations focused on keeping the campus clean (if there are any) and present ways to make our school cleaner, prettier, and nicer because that's what it should be.


Story #3 - Two Can Mans, One Campus

Can Man goes around Athens on weekends and collects cans for money. However, word of a 2nd Can Man is stirring talk of a rivalry.

Can Man Scott is quite the character. Collecting cans from parties for money, he interacts with people at the houses and never turns down the opportunity to talk about his belief in God and his grandmother who raised him. He says there is another Can Man but he is the better Can Man because he believes in God and the other man does not.

For the story, I would shadow him for a night and ask him about his life as a Can Man. I would also find the 2nd Can Man and present his side of the story. I would get statistics about how much each can is worth and such.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy your ideas and would be interested to see the newscast if these were actually going to be in them. I think for your "Kony" story is a good idea, because that was such a huge issue last year especially for people in our age group. I like your idea to ask some of the students. Maybe have a credited person who knows what they are talking about comment on it. I know there were many critics of the video for more than just the fact that Russell was running around naked. I was a co-founder of Unified for Unifat at my high school, an organization with a string of chapters nationwide that tried to help the children of the war by endorsing a school that created a safe environment for the children who were on their own. I can get you in touch with the director of the organization and she can probably give you some facts about what is actually going one.

    ReplyDelete