Monday, October 22, 2012

Cassie Kelly's Pitches


THEME: Asian students at OU and an inside look on their isolation from other OU students.

Pitch 1) Culture Shock: Why many Asian students seclude themselves from other students.

Focuses on the exchange program that many Asian students at OU are a part of. Some students have never visited America before and have trouble adapting to American ways. This explains why they tend to stay together.

Pitch 2) I have an Asian Roommate: Two roommates from entirely different backgrounds find commonalities between each other. 

Focuses on the daily life of a typical OU student, his Asian roommate and how they live together. Delves into the struggle for the two to find common ground when they don’t speak the same language, have similar beliefs or even watch the same television shows.

Pitch 3) Foreign Riches: Why Asians are stereotyped for their nice cars.

When you see a nice car on campus an average OU student might say “probably belongs to an Asian.” This stereotype has hindered Asian students from intermingling with other students on campus. Because many of the Asian students are products of single child families, their parents want the best for them. They use all of their savings to send their sons and daughters to America so they can get the best education. This often means providing them with what many OU students consider luxuries such as cars to better equip them in America. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like your idea about how Asian students adjust to American life when they have never lived here before! I think it would be interesting to see why they decided to come here, maybe add a graph of how many students are from China, Japan, etc., and maybe see how their class schedules and extra curricular activity involvement could be different from other cultures.

    The roommate thing is cool because I doubt many people really think about that kind of situation. I'm in a triple and my two roommates were best friends from high school, so they didn't have to worry about having communication issues with a roommate (unless of course I turned out to be an Asian...) . Maybe you could even talk to students rooming with their friends (or at least with other Americans) and see what they think rooming with someone of a different culture would be like and compare it to what it's actually like

    And I think the stereotypes thing would be really important to address because you're right: a lot of OU students say that kind of thing. But I also feel like you could maybe tie that into the culture story; it might be really neat and there would be more info. for viewers (the only issue might be timing...)

    ReplyDelete