Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Following Her Heart: Interview with Amna Durrani


            Every person has a moment in their life when a decision they have made will have a huge impact. Amna Durrani’s life was drastically changed when she made the decision to run away from home.
Amna’s mother raised her with Muslim values.
(Quote)
 “My whole life I was smothered and closeted and my life was being put on a path that I wasn’t planning on.”
(End Quote)
 This path meant an arranged marriage in Pakistan.
Amna grew up watching Pakistani women complain about their lives, they were miserable and trapped in a loveless marriage. This did not set a good precedent for Amna.
            When she reached the age of 18 her parents began to plan their trip to Pakistan, to find a husband for her. However, Amna had dreams of going to college and becoming a successful working woman. The predetermination of her life left her trapped in a situation that she did not desire. She further explains that
(Quote)
 “My parents cared how I felt, but they said what I was feeling was wrong because it was against Islam.”
(End Quote)
And then, Amna met a boy from Ohio, who wasn’t Muslim. Against everything her culture valued, Amna developed intimate feelings for him, which led to a long distance relationship.
One night, while talking on the phone with him, her mother walked in. She was outraged and threatening her with words like, “If you’re going to be indecent than I wish you weren’t born.” Her mother was so furious that Amna actually feared for her life.
This was the night that Amna decided that her thoughts of running away finally had to be acted upon.
The next morning she had her files transferred to the local high school in Athens, where her boyfriend lived.
And later that day, she packed everything she owned, the most important things were underwear and her artwork.
 And then, very early in the morning on February 17, 2011, Amna packed up her friend’s truck. But, just before she shut the door on the only family she’d ever known, her mother asked her where she was going. After physically struggling to escape she realized that in that moment her life would change forever.
It was far from easy for Amna to cope with her decision, she admits to being overwhelmed and stressed for a very long time after running away.
After graduating in Athens, she took a year off to put her life back in order. During this time she had many revelations, one of which was
(Quote)
“No matter what I did or did not do she [her mother] would always be depressed or worried or stressed. That’s when I realized that whatever I did wouldn’t make her happy. I’d be sacrificing my happiness for nothing.”
(End Quote)
            It has been a year and a half since Amna has been home. She admits to having several regrets, especially leaving her mother who lived life through her, pinning her happiness on Amna.
            The hardest part about leaving for Amna was figuring out who she was. Her family disowned her because she put shame on the family name. The only people she ever loved didn’t accept her. Her mother still thinks that she is going to Hell. But, while Amna admits that she isn’t exactly a Muslim anymore she is still spiritual.
            (Quote)
“I feel like if there was a god, how could he stand to put somebody through eternal torment and pain? How could I ever do anything to betray the all mighty being? I am so insignificant.”
(End Quote)
She truly does believe that if she had stayed at home, for the sake of her mother’s happiness, then she would be married in Pakistan right now.
Amna is one of many young women who have rebelled against arranged marriages, and she suggests to any Muslim woman who wants to run away to
(Quote)
“Think really hard about it, talk to your parents, don’t put yourself in harm’s way, but tell them you are planning on it.” 
(End Quote)
Her main goals now are to be accepted and to do something productive with her life.
Amna isn’t sure if she will ever reconcile with her parents. But, she didn’t run away to betray them. She just had to follow her heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment