In the days leading up to 10Fest, Ohio University freshman
Kelsey Miller spent her time reading up on local bands, looking at pictures on
Twitter and watching a forty-five minute documentary about Fest culture on
YouTube. When the day of 10Fest finally arrived, Kelsey couldn’t have been more
excited—but the event did not prove to be what she was expecting.
[begin SOT]
“It was not for me. I wasn’t in the mood to get as crazy as everybody else. I wasn’t a big fan of the crazy atmosphere and being so close to everybody and getting drenched with alcohol.”
[end SOT]
“It was not for me. I wasn’t in the mood to get as crazy as everybody else. I wasn’t a big fan of the crazy atmosphere and being so close to everybody and getting drenched with alcohol.”
[end SOT]
Kelsey’s lackluster experience at 10Fest didn’t just mean
having to spend a Saturday night inside. For Miller, the experience harkened
back to a concern that has haunted her ever since she first began considering
her college choice. Since middle school, Kelsey has been told that Ohio University
is a party school, churning out degrees just aren’t respected in the workforce.
[begin SOT]
“When I was in middle school, one of my teachers mentioned OU and she said, ‘I don’t know, I’ve heard a lot of bad things about it. People make fun of you if you go there.”
[end SOT]
“When I was in middle school, one of my teachers mentioned OU and she said, ‘I don’t know, I’ve heard a lot of bad things about it. People make fun of you if you go there.”
[end SOT]
Looking at Kelsey, however, you would never guess that Ohio
University is anything but the most prestigious, demanding college in the
state. Kelsey is a hard-working and motivated Journalism major who, between
class work, still finds time for the ImPRessions public relations organization and
Mixed Martial Arts club. And Kelsey, who attended high school among a circle of
shallow, judgmental “Bible beaters,” doesn’t mind the party culture—even if she
chooses not to participate in it.
[begin SOT]
“People at OU, because of their crazy lifestyles, are less judgmental in the process.”
[end SOT]
“People at OU, because of their crazy lifestyles, are less judgmental in the process.”
[end SOT]
Although Kelsey is well on her way to success in the E.W.
Scripps School, she still sometimes gets derision over her college choice from
friends and co-workers. However, Kelsey is driven by a need to succeed and says
she is determined to prove her detractors wrong in these next four years.
[begin SOT]
“With my grades, I’d like to show them that it isn’t just a party school. There are a lot of academic standards here.”
[end SOT]
“With my grades, I’d like to show them that it isn’t just a party school. There are a lot of academic standards here.”
[end SOT]
No comments:
Post a Comment